To create new content or to edit existing content, go to the Tools->Guide->Edit menu option.
Use the layout modes to switch between editor, preview, and split view modes.
When in preview mode, you can quickly switch back to editor mode by selecting the Editor button:
Anatomy of the content editor
Below is a screenshot of the editor with the main components highlighted.
Editor settings gives you access to the key functions:
- Layout allows you to specify the panel layout you want to choose for this section,
- Show Folders allows you to define specific folders in your project that you wish to be visible when the current section is displayed,
- Close Tabs allows you to close all tabs open from previous section,
- Set Section as Chapter allows you to set the section as a chapter in your content,
- Teacher Only allows you to show content that only teachers are able to see.
- Content Type allows you to write your content in either Markdown or HTML
This allows you to specify:
- which files you want to automatically open when the current section is displayed,
- Preview (including external websites),
- Open a Terminal window (including running a terminal command),
- which lines (if any) you wish to highlight within each file.
This allows you to set up assessments.
This allows you to play audio files within your project.
- Scripts allows you to point to one or more
.js files in your project (usually you would have this somewhere within the
.guides folder) that is run when the page is shown. This is especially useful when interacting with a button in a page of content.
- Theme allows you to select the default theme for people viewing the content. We currently have a light theme and will be adding a dark theme shortly. Dyslexic users can also choose a special theme from the Settings drop down in the content player.
- Lexicon Topic if you use this option, an icon will appear in the toolbar that will load the Lexikon window with the selected topic automatically selected.
- Suppress page numbering allows you to suppress the section page numbers when in Play Mode.
- Hide Menu allows you to hide the main Codio menu items in the IDE (Codio/Project/File/Edit etc) when the unit is run in a Class.
- Allow guide to be closed allows students to be able to close the content. It can be restarted by selecting the Start icon in the file tree:
- Use submit buttons see Student submission options for more information
- Use mark as completed see Student submission options for more information
- Collapsed on start starts the unit with the guides pane collapsed. Students can show the content clicking on the hamburger icon on the right
- Hamburger Icon can be pressed to show or hide the Section List.
- Section List lists the sections in your content. You can add new ones and re-order the list by dragging a page.